Having a car with an automatic transmission is a bit of a trade-off. While an automatic vehicle is more convenient to most, more can go wrong.
Generally, it takes a good while for a transmission system to be replaced, and most drivers don’t know the warning signs that indicate a failing transmission.
Here are 5 tell-tale signs that your transmission may be failing and might need a visit to an auto repair shop:
- Slips in the transmission – If you experience what feels like a “jump,” as if the car is drastically switching gears, it could be an indication that you need tranmission repair. In conjunction with this indicator, if you hear a strange noise and/or feel like the car is not accelerating as it should, you get your transmission checked.
- Hesitation in Gear Changes – You may hear a clunky sound as the gears attempt to shift, or it may seem that the vehicle seems to hang or not accelerate. It may also seem to refuse to change gears as you drive. This is an indication that auto repair is needed.
- Gears experience a delay before changing – You will notice this problem the minute you get in your car and start to drive. If you move your gear from park to drive or reverse, and the engine keeps running before the vehicle moves. This is a definite sign that there could be a problem and a transmission repair is needed.
- Transmission fluid is leaking – Transmission fluid is red, but as it ages, it turns into a darker red or brownish color. Slip a piece of cardboard under your car and evaluate what is leaking. If you suspect the color of it is transmission fluid, bring it to an auto repair shop. Do not attempt to refill the transmission fluid yourself. Make sure you bring it to an authorized technician as there are proper procedures and manufacturers’ specifications that need to be followed. If you overfill your transmission fluid, more problems can occur.
- Engine light comes on in the vehicle – It’s usually best to bring your vehicle in for auto repair whenever the engine light comes on the dashboard. When this happens, a technician can read codes off of the vehicle’s computer to determine what the problem is. Only then can it be determined that it is a transmission issue.
When taking your vehicle in for auto shop repair, always make sure that they are experienced with tranmission repair. If they don’t have the experience, they will recommend someone who does.
When you bring your vehicle in for auto repair, the technician will likely test drive it to see if any of these indicators occur, and there are other diagnostic tests that will be done to make sure everything is clear or if there is a transmission problem.
Stop N Go Auto Center has the experienced technicians you need to help you with any problems you may have with your vehicle. If you feel you may have a transmission problem, bring it into our repair shop, and we’ll take a look at it.
Stop N Go Auto Center
5370 S. Decatur Blvd. Las Vegas, NV 89118